Your Luggage Options – Choosing the Best for You
If you travel frequently, or you are going to be going on holiday soon, then there are some things that you are definitely going to need to invest in, one of them being some proper luggage. There are plenty of cheap options available, but it is always wise to spend a little extra cash on something that is going to last longer.
One thing that a lot of people find themselves struggling with is whether to go with hardside or softside luggage. Each has their own benefits and drawbacks. In order to help you choose the right option for you, here are a few points to consider for each type.
Benefits & Drawbacks of Hardside Luggage
Hard side luggage consists of a hard outer shell. These types of suitcases are what you would typically see on flights to other countries by families taking a holiday. Here are some of the pros and cons:
- Protection – One of the biggest plus points that comes with hardside luggage is the extra protection that you get. If you are planning on traveling with fragile items, or expensive items like laptops and other electricals, then this type of suitcase would be your best option. The hard outer shell will protect from bumps and drops.
- Waterproof – Although this is not true of all hardside luggage, for the most part, they are waterproof, so again, if you are going to be traveling with expensive electrical items, then this may be the best option for you.
- More Styles – One thing that you will definitely notice is that there are a lot more style options, in terms of hardside suitcases. There are some really nice designs out there at the moment, so if you want something stylish, then this is probably going to be the best option for you.
- Easy to Scratch – One of the major drawbacks that comes with these types of suitcases is that they tend to have a glossy exterior. Whilst this may look more stylish, it does come with the problem that it is easy to scratch. If you want something that is going to look brand new for quite some time, then this is probably not your best bet.
- Not as Flexible – One of the best things about softside suitcases is that they are flexible, meaning that you are able to store more in them by expanding them. Obviously, this is not possible with a hardside suitcase, so if you are planning on bringing back souvenirs then this may not be the option for you.
Benefits & Drawbacks of Softside Luggage
Softside luggage is still very popular. These suitcases on wheels will have a soft outer shell that can be expanded to fit more in. Here are the pros and cons.
- Lightweight – One of the biggest benefits that comes with softside luggage is that it is far more lightweight than the other option. If you travel frequently, then you might want to consider this option as it will be a lot easier to transport as you are on the move.
- Flexibility – Without a doubt, the biggest plus point with softside luggage is the flexibility that it offers. This not only allows you to store more in them by expanding them, but it also allows you to store the suitcase easily too.
- Price – Although this won’t be true in all cases, for the most part, softside luggage is a lot cheaper than other options. This is because they are mostly fabric, so cheaper to produce. If you are working with a tight budget, then this may be the best option for you.
- Lack of Protection – The main issue that comes with this type of luggage is the fact that it doesn’t offer much in the way of protection. If you are going to be traveling with fragile items, then a hardside suitcase would be a much better idea.
- Not Waterproof – Another issue that you will find with this type of luggage is that it offers no protection from the elements. Again, if you are going to be traveling with electrical items then this won’t be the best option for you.
As you can see, each option has both pros and cons to consider, so ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and which option will work better for you. There are some great deals online for both hardside and softside luggage, so take a look at some of your options and see which one will be the best fit for you personally.