Keeping your Luggage in Good Condition to extend It’s Lifespan
If you are a frequent traveller, then one thing that you will definitely need is durable luggage, whether that is a good rucksack or a solid suitcase. However, with suitcases especially, you will need to regularly service it so that you can make sure that it lasts you a long time.
A high quality suitcase will certainly set you back a bit, especially if you want to make sure that it can handle regular usage. However, with regular servicing, you can make sure that the investment is worthwhile. One of the things that you will definitely want to make sure you do is replace the riveted luggage wheels.
Some of the Benefits of Replacing Riveted Luggage Wheels
If you have a high quality suitcase that still has plenty of life left in it, but the wheels need replacing, then you may be wondering if there are any benefits of doing so, over buying a completely new suitcase. Here are some of the advantages:
- Smoother Movement – If you travel frequently for business, one of the things that you will be well aware of is the need to travel at a fast pace, especially through a busy airport where thousands of people are trying to get to their destination on time. In order to do this, you need to be able to transport your luggage with ease. By replacing the riveted wheels regularly, you can make sure the suitcase moves smoothly.
- Easier to Control – One of the things that you will probably notice, if you haven’t replaced the wheels on your luggage in a while, is that the suitcase can be quite difficult to control. When you are traveling through an airport, you need to be able to control your luggage properly in order to be able to move at speed without bumping into any other passengers. By replacing the wheels regularly, you can do this.
How to Change Riveted Luggage Wheels
You may be surprised to learn that changing luggage wheels that are riveted is actually quite an easy process. Here are a couple of tips to help you change the wheels on your luggage.
- Have the Right Tools – In order to successfully change riveted wheels on luggage, one of the things that you are going to need to do is to make sure that you have the right tools. Removing a riveted wheel is notoriously more difficult than a wheel that is fitted with a screw, so you are going to need to make sure that you have the right tools. You will need a hacksaw, some safety goggles and a screwdriver.
- Make sure you have a Flat Surface – This is another important point to keep in mind. Removing riveted luggage wheels can be quite a fiddly task, so one thing that you are going to need to do is to make sure that you have a completely flat surface to work on. Something like a work bench or a concrete floor would be perfect.
- Purchase Suitable Replacements – Before you can actually remove the old wheels and replace them, it is important that you make sure that you have purchased the right type of replacements. You can do this by buying the replacements for your exact make and model. They will usually come with the right rivets. If you buy incorrect parts, then you will end up with either wheels that are too big or too small, or wheels that simply don’t rotate as they should.
As a final note, it is important that you take care when replacing riveted wheels on a suitcase. Because of the rivets, the only way to remove the wheel to replace it is to use a hacksaw to cut through the rivet itself. This can be quite fiddly, and one slip could be dangerous. This is why it is so important that you use a flat surface and safety goggles. However, the replacement process itself should not take you all that long at all, and once you have replaced one wheel you will find it much easier with the next one.