Bringing Aerosol Cans in Checked Luggage – What you need to know
Over the last couple of decades, the laws regarding what you can and cannot bring on a flight have become much stricter. With everything happening in the modern world, this is no surprise. One of the things that a lot of people are still unsure of are the rules and regulations regarding aerosol cans.
Obviously, there are certain rules regarding aerosol cans that you must follow if you want to bring it with you in your checked luggage. Another thing that a lot of people find themselves worrying about is whether or not the can is likely to explode. After we have taken a look at the rules and regulations regarding taking aerosol cans in checked luggage, we will offer a few tips to help you carry them safely.
Some of the Rules Regarding Aerosol Cans in Checked Luggage
As with all items that are carried on flights both abroad and within the same country, there are rules that you will need to follow, if you want to be able to bring aerosol cans with you in your checked luggage. Here are a couple of the regulations that you will need to adhere to:
- Size – Before you can travel with an aerosol can in your checked luggage, you will need to make sure that it is the right size, as if it is too large, you won’t be allowed to travel with it. If you are just carrying it in your carry-on luggage, then it must be smaller than 3.4 ounces. If you are having trouble finding deodorant or shaving foam of this size then take a look in your local supermarket as most will stock travel sized cans. Any aerosol can larger than this can be carried in your checked luggage.
- Packing – If you are going to be traveling with aerosol cans and you plan to take them in your hand luggage, then it is important to remember that they will need to be packed in a clear plastic sealable bag. As long as you do this, you shouldn’t run into any difficulties. If you are storing them in your checked luggage then you should have no problem as long as they are stored securely.
Tips for Packing Aerosol Cans in Checked Luggage
As with anything regarding travel, safety is paramount, not only for you, but for others around you too. With this in mind, it is important that you make sure that you do everything correctly in order to make sure that there is no risk of your cans exploding. Here are a couple of tips that should help you when packing.
- Release Pressure – In order to minimise the risk of any aerosol can exploding, one of the things that you can do is to spray a little of the contents of the can before you pack it. This is especially true if it is a brand new can that hasn’t been used before. By doing this, you can release some of the gases and pressure in the can which will minimise the risk of it exploding during travel.
- Pack Securely – If you want to make sure that the can doesn’t explode or leak, then the best thing to do is to make sure that it is packed securely. The last thing that you want is for the can to be rattling around in your suitcase because if it gets dented then there is always the risk of it being pierced which could cause problems, if not at least a huge mess in your suitcase. Pack the can so that it is held firmly in the suitcase and not able to move around.
- Don’t Pack with Flammable Items – Whilst this may seem obvious, there are some people who simply won’t think about this, especially those who are packing in a rush. Make sure that there is nothing that could react with the aerosol packed in the same case, for example lighters or matches.
As you can see, the rules and regulations for traveling with aerosol cans are actually quite straight forward. As long as you are careful with your packing and you make sure that you have followed the rules properly then there is no reason why you should have to worry about any aerosol can exploding when you are traveling.
The vast majority of passengers will be traveling with an aerosol can of some description, whether that is deodorant, shaving foam, or even sun cream, so there is nothing for you to worry about.